Four Minute Folklore: St Catherine's Oratory
By Paul A.T. Wilson
Year first lit: 1328
St. Catherine's Oratory is a medieval lighthouse on St. Catherine's Down, above the southern coast of the Isle of Wight. It was built by Lord of Chale Walter de Godeton (sometimes spelled "Goditon") as an act of penance for plundering wine from the wreck of St. Marie of Bayonne in Chale Bay on 20th April 1313.
Not only is it second oldest Lighthouse in the country, but it is also the centre of some very powerful magic, spirituality and Ley Lines. Watch and find out more